- Last Updated: Wednesday, 24 December 2014 18:30
- Written by Admin
- Average cost to purchase and install a bike rack: $660
- Average cost to widen road for 5' bike lanes: ~$130k/mile
- Average cost to install a median refuge island: ~$13k
This database of costs is presented here for use by city planners, engineers, and other city officials. The ultimate goal of the database is to encourage bicycling and walking and to make bicycling and walking safer through the provision of relevant infrastructure. HSRC researchers hope that this cost database is used to simplify the process for implementing pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure and will help decision-makers understand the costs involved in sustaining and encouraging pedestrian and bicycle transportation. By making more informed decisions about the costs of pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure treatments, decision-makers will be able to dedicate funds to those treatments secure in the knowledge that a) these investments are often affordable and b) which treatment is the most cost-effective."
Advocates from Cleveland, OH report the following average costs* for re-striping a roadway to include bicycle accommodations (no road widening):
- Grinding for removal of centerline: $5,000 per mile
- Thermoplastic Center line: $6,800 per mile
- Edge line (same as solid bike lane line): $2,800 per mile. Note that this cost applies to each line. So, in an area with on-street parking, you have two edge lines in each direction (total of four lines for both directions). In areas where the bike lane is adjacent to the curb line, there is only one edge line in each direction (a total of two lines for both directions).
- Lane line: $1,200 per mile
- Bike lane symbol: $300 each
- Shared lane symbol (aka "sharrow"): $300 each
* Important note: echoing the bold text above, these figures are rough estimates. Actual costs will depend on specific road conditions and the vendors and contractors used in your community.
Advocacy Advance offers this report on how communities are paying for bike lane and paved trail maintenance.