- Last Updated: Friday, 23 August 2013 14:57
- Written by Admin
In an effort to help the people of Georgia live healthier lives and to reduce the burden of chronic disease and other illnesses, Governor Sonny Perdue and the Georgia Department of Community Health (DCH) Division of Public Health have joined forces by launching the Live Healthy Georgia campaign.
How will physical activity help me?
Regular, moderate physical activity (30 minutes total at least five days per week) can help you live longer and improve your quality of life.Physical activity:
- Lowers cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar levels
- Decreases risk of colon cancer, diabetes, and stroke
- Strengthens bones, muscles and joints
- Relieves the pain of arthritis
- Helps maintain a healthy weight
- Increases your energy level
- Reduces stress and helps you relax more
- Helps you sleep better
I have a busy life – how can I find the time to be more physically active?
Some suggestions for incorporating more activity into your daily routine:
- Get on or off the bus several blocks away
- Walk (or bike) during breaks at work
- Walk (or bike) your child to school or the bus stop
- Walk, cycle, or jog to work, the store, or to visit a friend