- Last Updated: Tuesday, 06 January 2015 21:44
- Written by Admin
Create a minimum of $1.0 – 1.5 billion in new annual transportation infrastructure investment to address the challenges facing the state and produce the following results:
- Ensure safety and good repair of Georgia’s bridges and roadways, throughout Georgia, both in rural and urban areas of the state,
- Mitigate congestion in the fastest-growing urban and business centers throughout Georgia, and
- Provide Georgians, Georgia businesses and visitors with multi-modal transportation options, ensuring positive, sustainable economic outcomes.
The full report is available here.
We are very please to see the Committee's emphasis on economic development, transportation choices, safety, and easing urban traffic congestion. Bike-friendly streets and paved trails are proven, cost-effective approaches to solving these complex issues. Safe bicycling routes to school and transit reduce short-distance car trips and make accessing other modesmore convenient and comfortable. Cities that actively foster daily bicycling trips with protected facilities enjoy robust economic growth, innovation, and increased property values. Even small towns that invest in better bicycling reap tremendous benefits from active tourism and a healthier local populace.
We urge Georgia's lawmakers to ensure that whatever state funding mechanism is created will include a meaningful commitment to build safe, family-friendly streets and roads.
* See our white paper for additional talking points and recommendations for specific solutions