Come to Athens, GA over the weekend of October 12-14 2018 and join fellow bicycle advocates for events, speakers, rides and more.
Want to present at the Summit? We are looking for individuals and organizations to present on interesting and relevant topics on bicycling + advocacy in their communities. 45-50 minute sessions!
Fill out the form below, deadline is August 17th at 5pm EST:
Need financial assistance to help cover travel and registration costs? Fill out this form:
Friday October 12
– Implementing Complete Streets + Bicycle/Pedestrian Plans: How to Center Equity and Data-Driven Decision Making to Increase Safety, Access, and Bikeability
With Charles Brown, Senior Researcher at the Alan M. Voorhees Transportation Center (VTC) and Adjunct Professor at the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy at Rutgers University; Rebecca Serna, Executive Director of the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition; and Byron Rushing, Bicycle and Pedestrian Planner at the Atlanta Regional Commission and Board President, Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals.
1:30-4PM in the Cypress Room in the Foundry Street Building at the Classic Center.
Session is free and open to all but registration is required. Register here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/implementing-complete-streets-bicyclepedestrian-plans-with-equity-data-tickets-50662168911
– Welcome to Athens Joy Ride, a short, no-drop, fun group ride meeting at 6:00PM – Classic Center. Ride will end at BikeAthens headquarters for party
– Opening NIght Party at BikeAthens headquarters, 1075 West Broad (7PM) with food from Rashe’s Cuisine and music from BikeAthens’ Program Director Scott Long aka DJ 10TonChain
Saturday October 13th
8AM – Registration opens – Foundry St Building at the Classic Center
8-9:30AM – Breakfast in Empire Room, Foundry St Building at the Classic Center
9:30 –10:30AM – Morning Keynote – Charles Brown, Empire Room
10:40-11:30AM – Session 1 – Empire Room, Ligotti 1 and 2
– LaMiiko Moore and Stephen Spring of the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition on their bicycle education program in City of Atlanta schools ( 2 part session)
– John Bennett and Caila Brown of Bike Walk Savannah on bicycle advocacy organizations and shifting names to reflect our broader focus
– Bruce Hagen of Bike Law Georgia on systemic bias against people on bicycles after a crash
11:40-12:30PM – Session 2 – Empire Room, Ligotti 1 and 2
– LaMiiko Moore and Stephen Spring of the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition on their bicycle education program in City of Atlanta schools
– Ken Rose of the CDC on public health benefits bicycling/walking infrastructure
– Lisa Hayes and Dawn Chandler of the Georgia Interscholastic Cycling League and NICA’s Girls Riding Together Program on getting #morekidsonbikes
12:30-1:15PM – Lunch – Empire Room
1:15-2:30PM – Afternoon keynote – Ayesha McGowan
2:40-3:30PM – Session 3 – Empire Room, Ligotti 1 and 2
– Charise Stephens of Georgia Fitness Festival and Coach Chris Johnson of the Dream Team on the Dream Team in Macon and Dublin
– Jared Draper of Toole Design Group on the Athens in Motion bicycle/pedestrian master plan.
– Steven Cousins and Julie Wells of Relay Bikeshare on progress and challenges of bikeshare
3:40-4:30 – Session 4 – Empire, Ligotti 1 and 2
– Tiffanie Miller of Raleigh-Electric on the promise of e-bikes in Georgia
– Nedra Deadwyler of Civil Bikes
– Thomas Scarboro of 3 Feet Please and Tyler Dewey of BikeAthens on educating drivers about bicyclists
After the program:
– Go to LatinX Fest in downtown Athens, taking place 12-8pm. Food trucks, vendors, art, music, and more! A short ride or walk from the Classic Center on Washington Street between Pulaski and Hull – https://www.latinxfestath.com/
– Want to watch the Georgia vs LSU football game?
Kickoff is at 3:30pm. We recommend going to the Georgia Theatre (215 North Lumpkin) or Max Canada (243 West Washington)
– BikeAthens’ Bicycle Recycling Program is open to 6PM on Saturday – drop by to learn about the program or volunteer to help fix bikes! 1075 W. Broad St, www.bikeathens.org
Dinner is on your own
Evening event at Creature Comforts Brewing Company, 271 West Hancock from 8-10PM. Look for the Georgia Bikes tent.
Sunday October 14
– Three rides for Summit attendees who have stayed in town, all meeting at the Classic Center at 11AM:
1. In-town mountain bike ride with SORBA-Athens, going to Trail Creek and the UGA Intramural Field trails, using the North Oconee River Greenway to connect the two
2. Road bicycle ride to Winterville, lead by BikeAthens Board member and unofficial “bike mayor” of Athens. 25 miles, chill pace, no drop.
3. Cruise around town ride with BikeAthens’ Scott Long and Georiga Bikes’ Elliott Caldwell to check out the Firefly Trail, new North Oconee River Greenway segments, and more.
– BikeAthens’ Bicycle Recycling Program is open to 2-4:30PM on Sunday – drop by to learn about the program or volunteer to help fix bikes! 1075 W. Broad St, www.bikeathens.org
We have blocks of hotel rooms already reserved at a number of locations. See below for hotel options:
412 North Thomas (next door to Classic Center, connected)
$149 for King or 2 Queen
Use code G-BSU8
295 East Dougherty (1/3 mile from Classic Center)
$159 for King or 2 Queen room
170 North Milledge (1 mile from Classic Center)
$129 for King or 2 Queen room
Georgia Gameday Center
250 West Broad (1/2 mile from Classic Center)
Suite-style rooms with full kitchens, $200 for 2 bedroom
Call Front Desk (706-583-4500) and use code GBS18
220 South Hull (1/2 mile from Classic Center)
$159 for King or 2 Queen