Congratulations to our 10 Seed Grant recipients for 2012!
Each of the 10 organizations below have been awarded $1,500 for innovative, start-up, and growing bicycle advocacy efforts.
Their programs and activities will promote and encourage cycling, teach safe riding and maintenance techniques, provide for improved road conditions and better recreational opportunities, and so much more! Read on for details about our seed grant awardees and their newly funded initiatives:
Bicycling Club of Milledgeville (Milledgeville, GA)
- Work with Georgia College & State University to determine the best placement for Share the Road signage, sharrows & other bike improvements near campus
Bicycle Columbus (Columbus-Muscogee County)
- Incorporate Bicycle Columbus as a 501 (c)(3) Non-Profit organization
- Bicycle Columbus will serve as the unified voice for all things bicycle-related in Columbus-Muscogee County
Bike Roswell! (Roswell, GA)
- Providing Bike Roswell! University (“BRU”) Smart Cycling courses: a course geared to children to become more comfortable on their bicycles, a safe riding in traffic course, and a group riding dynamics course.
Community Cycling Center of Valdosta (Valdosta, GA)
- Purchasing a complete set of shop tools, including a work stand, wrenches, a pump, and a variety of other tools and supplies, for the recently opened Valdosta Bike Co-Op.
- Conducting bike safety classes
Oconee County Cycling Organization (Oconee County, GA)
- Installing bike racks
- Bike event planning and coordination
- Share the Road signage
- Building an off-road trail
Panther Bikes (Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA)
- Installation of two Dero Fixit Bike Repair Stands, do-it-yourself bicycle repair stations
Sumter Cycling (Americus, GA)
- Hosting cycling advocacy events and initiatives in the city of Americus
- Coordinating Bike to Work Day Americus
- Marketing efforts to promote these events, as well as the promotion of safe cycling behaviors
Walton Wellness Inc. (Walton County, GA)
- Expanding their innovative Project Road Share initiative
- Launching a youth-focused campaign called “Pedal Power” and a series of family cycling events that focus on safety and the health benefits of cycling
WeCycle Atlanta (Atlanta, GA)
- Expanding operations of their community bike shop
- Bike safety programing, research and advocacy through the WeCycle Atlanta Institute of Cycling.
Wheel Movement of the CSRA (Augusta, GA)
- Certifying group members as League Cycling Instructors
- Implementation of safe cycling educational programs